Generally, salt fish, flours and seasonings are the main ingredients in cooking fish cakes.. This kind of food is very popular in the Caribbean, known for its different names such as stamp and go, cod-fish cakes and rissoles. Fish cakes are fried in hot oil until golden brown. This tasty meal is usually served in bite sizes, which is appropriate for an appetizer.
The following is a step by step procedure in cooking fish cake.
What you need to prepare:
· 1/2 Pound of boneless salt fish
· 1 Finely chopped onion
· 3 Cloves of garlic finely chopped
· 1 & 1/4 Cup of flour
· 2 Teaspoon baking powder
· 1 Egg
· 1/2 Cup of coconut milk
· 1/2 Cup of water
· 1 Ounce of butter
· 1/4 Cup of finely chopped spring onions
· Finely chopped marjoram and parsley
· White and black pepper for taste
· Vegetable oil for frying
2. Put the flour and the baking powder in a bowl. Make a hole at its center and then add the egg, water and milk. Mix them well. Then add all the remaining ingredients. Mix until a thick batter forms. If necessary, add more water.
3. Use a pan that is suitable for deep - frying, heat the oil. Use vegetable oil since it healthy. Make sure that it is hot enough for frying. To know if the temperature of oil right, dip a metal spoon. Bubbles will appear around the spoon if the temperature is hot enough. Drop the mixture into the hot oil and fry. Check the color. If it's cooked, it appears golden brown and crisp. Usually it takes four to five minutes to cook.
4. After frying, remove the cooked fish from the pan and then place them on a plate with a paper towel. Paper towel is used to absorb the excess oil from the fish cake.
5. Keep in mind that the this recipe tastes best while still hot. It can be eaten in different ways. You can eat it on its own, paired with cheese, bread or with a delicious dip.
How to make a fish cake dip?
Ingredients to Prepare:
2 Parts of tomato ketchup
1 Part of pepper sauce or hot sauce
1. Get a small bowl and mix these three ingredients very well: Tomato, ketchup and hot sauce.
2. Add more ketchup, pepper or hot sauce until you reach your desired taste.
Finally, this recipe is not the usual sweet, baked dessert that you can put various frosting. It is not even one of those fondant decorating accessories. Fish cake is only an appetizer.